Users with the Profile Rule Admin permission can set up a Profile Rule that includes a formula, which is concatenated by Novatus and then used to auto-populate a related field in a Company, Contract, or Project Profile screen, or a field in an additional form that has been captured in a Profile.
Concatenation is the action of linking field values together in a series and displaying this string of information in another field in a Company, Contract, or Project Profile screen, or in a field in an additional form that has been captured in a Profile.
Profile Rule Admins build the concatenated formula using one or more of the fields in a Profile screen or an additional form, along with symbols, which identify the linkage between the fields. Static text and symbols can also be added if a constant needs to be applied to the concatenation.
The fields used to build the concatenation must be required in order to produce an accurate result. Therefore, Profile Rule Admins must ensure the fields in the Company, Contract, or Project Profile screen that are used in their formula are required fields. If the concatenation uses an additional field in a Company, Contract, or Project Profile screen, or a field in an additional form captured in a Profile, these profile and additional form fields must also be designated as required.
A Company Profile Rule is written for all the supplier companies stored in Novatus to populate an additional field in the Company Profile named Internal Company Code by concatenating the values captured in one default field and two other additional fields in the Profile.
1. Click Admin in the Navigation Toolbar, and click the Profile Rules link.
2. In the Profile Rules Admin screen, click the Company Profile link under the Profile Type: Profile heading.
3. In the Profile Rules Edit screen, click Add Rule to display a blank rule record.
4. In the Rules section of the screen, enter Internal Company Code in the Rule Name field.
5. In the Conditions section, click Add Condition to display three fields, and define the condition that will apply the rule to companies that are suppliers:
- Select Company Type in the Field list.
- Select In (equals) in the Operation list.
- Select Supplier in the Value list.
6. In the Actions section, click Add Action to display three fields, and build a formula that will populate the Internal Company Code field in the Additional Fields section of the Company Profile by concatenating a default field in the Profile and two other other additional fields that were added to the Profile:
- Select Calculate in the Action Type list.
- Select Internal Company Code in the Field list.
- Click in the Value field to open the Formula Editor window.
7. In the Formula Editor window, build the formula that says the Internal Company Field should be populated with a character string that incorporates the information users provide in three fields in the Company Profile, preceded by the prefix INT, and separated by dashes.
1. Make sure there is a space between every variable, operator, and symbol. 2. All static information in the formula must be encased in single quotes, such as 'INT-' where INT is the prefix used to indicate internal information and the dash (-) is used as a separator. 3. All concatenated variables must be encased in Pipe (||) symbols, except the last variable, which only needs a leading Pipe symbol.
- Enter 'INT-' into the window to identify the string as an internally-generated identifier, and then add a space.
- Enter a Pipe symbol (||) by holding down the Shift key and depressing the backslash ( \ ) key twice.
- Select Effective Year of First Contract - 4 Digits in the variable list.
- Enter another Pipe symbol so that the variable is encased in the symbols.
- Enter a dash enclosed in single quotes ('-') to separate the first variable from the second, making sure there is a space before and after the '-'.
- Repeat the process, except for the first step, but select Company Category in the variable list.
- Repeat the process, except for the first step, but select Company Financial Rating in the variable list, and do not add a closing Pipe (||) symbol.
- Click Save.
8. In the Profile Rules Edit screen, click Save.