A Profile Rule allows an Administrator to control the population or availability of a field in an Additional Form, based on the user's selection in a related field in the same form. Since Additional Forms can be added to Contract, Company, and Project Profiles, an Administrator can create contract, company, and project profile rules.
Administrators can add as many profile rule as needed to ensure users capture accurate and appropriate information for the additional forms added to the Company, Contract, and Project Profiles stored in Novatus.
A profile rule can also be used to control the population or availability of a system (default) field or an additional field that an Administrator adds to a Company, Contract, or Project Profile based on the selection a user makes in one of the other fields in the profile.
The example below provides the steps in adding a profile rule for Contract Additional Form, but the procedure is the same for adding a profile rule to a Company Additional Form or a Project Additional Form.
1. Click Admin in the Navigation Toolbar, and click the Profile Rules link.
2. In the Profile Rules Admin screen, locate the Profile Type: Contract Additional Forms category (or Profile Type: Company Additional Forms or Profile Type: Project Additional Forms).
All categories in the screen are expanded by default, displaying all the additional fields and the additional forms. Click on the collapse icon for one or more categories to increase the viewing area for another category.
3. Locate the additional form that needs the profile rule, and click on it to select it.
4. In the Profile Rules Edit screen, click Add Rule to display a blank rule record.
- Populate the Rule Name and Rule Description fields.
5. In the Conditions section, click Add Condition to display three fields used to define a condition for the rule.
- Field - select a field to define the rule.
- Operation - select the appropriate option:
- In to specify a value or text
- Not In to exclude a value or text
- Null to identify an unpopulated field
- Not Null to identify a field populated with any data
- Value - make a selection in the list to complete the condition.
- If the Value component is a field rather than a list, enter text or a number in the field. If it is a multi-select list, click on additional items to define all the items that will be affected by the rule.
A single profile rule can contain multiple conditions and multiple actions for a condition.
6. In the Actions section, click Add Action to display three fields used to define the system action that you want to occur if the user meets the condition(s) of the rule.
- Action Type - make a selection in the list to identify the system action.
- Field - select the field for the action specified in the Action Type list.
- Value - enter text or a value to define the parameter for the action if the field is enabled.
- The field is enabled only if you select Default Value, Force Value, or Calculate Field in the Action Type list.
- The field is disabled for the other system actions: Enable/Disable Field, Require/Unrequire Field, and Hide/Unhide Field.
To require the Completion Date and Due Date fields to be populated in a Milestone additional form, the milestone must be completed. Select Milestone Completed? in the Field list, In in the Operation list, and Yes in the Value list in the Conditions section. In the Actions section, select Require Field in the Action list and Milestone Completion Date in the Field list. To make more than one field required, repeat the procedure and make a different selection in the Field list.
7. Click Save.