A person function in Novatus is similar to a job title in that it reflects the function that a program user, company contact, or external participant serves in the program. Administrators must define all the person functions that will be needed, which include functions that give individuals the ability to create, negotiate, manage, and archive a contract, as well as make contract requests, approve contract requests, and approve flow and workflow steps. A user is assigned a function from their User Profile, while a company contact is assigned a function from the People screen in a Company Profile, and an external participant is assigned a function from the Person Browse screen.
Administrators can set up individual functions or set up a hierarchy of functions, which ensures that there are several qualified individuals who can complete a task, instead of relying on a single individual who may be unavailable for a period for time. A hierarchy of functions ensures a task is always completed, even if no one holds the function assigned to the task since Novatus continues up the chain in the hierarchy until a person capable of performing the task is found.
Adding Individual Functions
Individual functions are recommended if you are not going to be using the Contract Request feature, or if you will not use approvals for contract requests, or approval steps for flows and/or workflows.
1. Click Admin in the Navigation Toolbar, and click the Lists links.
The screen displays an alphabetical listing of categories (Company, Contract, Address, Clause, Document, Global Translation, People, Project, Relationship, and Workflow). Additional forms and additional fields are also listed alphabetically as categories.
2. In the List Administration screen, type people into the Search field, and press the ENTER key on your keyboard.
3. In the Fields List section, click People Functions to display a canvas for adding items in the right side of the screen.
4. Right-click on the icon at the top of the canvas to display an Add/Delete menu, and select Add to add a function to the list.
5. In the New Item record, click to enable the field, and enter the name of the function by typing over the existing text.
- (Optional) Click in the Description field and enter a description for the function to provide users with information when they hover over the function.
6. Click Save.
Setting Up a Hierarchy of Functions
Setting up a hierarchy is recommended if you will be using the Contract Request feature and approval steps in flows and/or workflows. In creating a hierarchy, you create a top-level user function, and then add lower level functions (sub-functions).
1. Set up a user function that requires a hierarchy of sub-functions by following steps 1-5 in Adding Individual Functions.
2. Right-click on the icon for the function to display an Add/Delete menu, and select Add.
3. In the New Item record, click to enable the field, and enter the name of the sub-function by typing over the existing text.
- (Optional) Click in the Description field and enter a description for the sub-function to provide users with information when they hover over the function.
4. Click Save. The sub-function displays under the function in a hierarchical relationship.
5. Click the icon for the function to display the sub-function. To collapse the hierarchy, click .