A tree field that has been added to an additional form, or to the Additional Fields section in a Contract, Company, or Project Profile screen, allows Administrators to capture tiered information, which is useful in capturing multi-level information using a single field.
In the steps below, which are directly related to the example provided in the Adding a Company Additional Form topic, the Administrator first adds categories (Moody's, Standard & Poor's, and Fitch) to the tree field, and then adds items to each category (ratings used by each agency).
1. Click Admin in the Navigation Toolbar, and click the Lists links.
The screen displays an alphabetical listing of categories (Company, Contract, Address, Clause, Document, Global Translation, People, Project, Relationship, and Workflow). Additional forms and additional fields are also listed alphabetically as categories.
2. In the List Administration screen, locate the tree field by typing its name (or part of its name) into the Search field, and pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard.
3. Click on the tree field in the Fields List section to select it, and display a canvas for building the tree field in the right side of the screen.
4. Click at the top of the hierarchy to display a blank field, and enter a descriptive name for the categories in the tree field.
5. Right-click on the icon at the top of the canvas to display an Add/Delete menu, and select Add to add a category to the field.
6. In the New Item record, click to enable the field, and enter the name of the category by typing over the existing text.
- (Optional) Click in the Description field and enter a description for the category to provide users with information when they hover over the category in the additional form.
7. Right-click on the icon for the new category to display an Add/Delete menu, and select Add to add an item to the category.
8. In the New Item record, click to enable the field, and enter the name of the list item for the category.
- (Optional) Click in the Description field and enter a description for the list item to provide users with information when they hover over the item in the additional form.
- (Optional) Add additional list items to the category.
9. (Optional) Click to add a second tier of selections to a list item. In the New Item record, click to enable the field, and enter the name of the sub-list item for the list item.
The maximum depth for a list item is three tiers.
10. Repeat steps 5-8 to add additional categories and list items.
- (Optional) Repeat step 9 to add sub-list items to a list item.
11. Click Save.