The Roles feature is a security measure that controls individual user access to Novatus Contracts program features, as well as access to the data stored in the program. Access to data can be restricted on the basis of the group to which the Company, Contract, and Project Profile is assigned. Within each group, a second level of security can be applied by limiting data access to Read Only (viewing) for certain groups, while allowing full access (i.e., ability to add and edit data, and access to uploaded documents) to other groups.
Users with the Role Admin permission create the roles that are assigned to both users and Administrators of Novatus Contracts, and a role can be tailored to grant/limit user access to data stored in the program, as well as grant/restrict permissions to perform program tasks. Role Administrators can create a multitude of roles with varying permissions and/or restrictions, all of which typically fall into one of three major categories:
- Role has a singular default permission and the name of the role reflects that permission.
- For example, a Company Admin role is created and is assigned the Company Admin default permission. Security is applied on two levels: (1) controlling access to the company, contract, and project groups to which Company, Contract, and Project Profiles are assigned in Novatus Contracts, and (2) controlling the ability to view, create, and modify data within these groups, as well as access to the documents and document types stored in the profiles.
- Role has more than one default permission and the name of the role encompasses the permissions.
- For example, a Company and Contract Admin role is created and is assigned both the Company Admin and Contract Admin default permissions. Security is applied on two levels, as described above.
- Role has no default permissions and the name of the role reflects access to company, contract, and project data.
- For example, a Full Read Write role is created and assigned Full permissions to all the Company Groups, Contract Groups, and Project Groups in Novatus Contracts, as well as full access to any restricted dynamic forms. No security is applied to this user role with respect to data and stored documents; however, the user does not have any administrative capabilities or access to the program features that can be restricted: Reporting, Advanced Reporting, Scheduled Reporting, Scorecard Viewing, Direct Editing, and being an Approver for contract requests.
- Important: Roles are used in creating individual User Profiles, and therefore, at least one user role must be created before users are added to Novatus Contracts.
Role Administrators can perform the following tasks associated with user roles: