After you select the documents and recipients for the electronic signing process in the eSignature Package Wizard, you are immediately directed to the eSignature Portal, which displays the "envelope" for the electronic signing ceremony.
The envelope is the email message that is sent to signatories and recipients. The email contains the contract document(s) that must be signed electronically in the body of the message, as well as any instructions provided by the user who initiated the eSignature process using the Wizard.
In the eSignature Portal, you must place signature fields in the proper location in the contract so that when each signatory inserts his/her electronic signature, the document is properly executed. You must also ensure that other tags, such as Initial, Title, and Date fields are inserted in the proper locations to capture this information for each signer.
Depending on the eSignature solution you are using, the process of adding Signature fields to the contract will vary slightly. Currently, Conga Contracts (formerly Novatus) supports DocuSign and Adobe Sign.
Adding an eSignature Field and Submitting a Document in DocuSign
1. Select the name of the person whose signature is required on the contract in the list above the Standard Fields section.
2. Navigate to the Signature Line for the signatory by scrolling through the document, or clicking on a numbered Document Page icon.
3. Click on the Signature icon in the Standard Fields section, and then drag-and-drop the icon above the Signature Line. The icon changes to a Sign tag and formatting options for the field display in the right-hand panel.
- Use the formatting options to control the display of information provided by the signatory in the document. For example, the Title field can be formatted so that when the signatory enters their title, the text is formatted using a specific font size and style. Additional display options are available, depending on the type of field you add to the document.
4. (Optional) Add additional fields to the document to capture required information for the signatory by dragging-and-dropping other fields from the Standard Fields section into the document, or by clicking on the and icons to reveal custom and merge fields that can be added to the document.
5. (Optional) Repeat Steps 1-4 to add Signature and other data-capturing fields for another signatory to the document.
6. Click SEND to submit the document for electronic signature.
Click OTHER ACTIONS to display a menu with alternatives to submitting the envelope. Select Save and Close to save your work without submitting the envelope, and select Preview to view the envelope from the signatory's perspective.
Adding an eSignature Field and Submitting a Document in Adobe Sign
If the document selected in the eSignature Package Wizard has been tagged with Signature and other tags, you do not have to manually add tags to the document in the eSignature Portal. Verify the correct placement of the tags, and click Send.
1. Select the name of the person whose signature is required on the contract in the RECIPIENTS list.
2. Navigate to the Signature Line for the signatory by scrolling through the document, or using and to page through the document.
3. Open the Signature Fields menu.
4. Click on Signature, and drag-and-drop the field above the Signature Line in the document.
- Resize the field, as needed, to accommodate the length of the signature line.
- Right-click on the field to delete it, display additional options for formatting the text, and set conditions/actions for the field.
5. (Optional) Add additional fields to the document to capture required information for the signatory by opening the Signer Info Fields, Data Fields, More Fields, and Transaction Fields menus to reveal additional fields, including standard/custom fields and hyperlinks.
6. (Optional) Repeat Steps 1-4 to add fields for another signatory to the document.
7. Click Send to submit the document for electronic signature.
To review and edit the envelope after submitting it, click the Save to document library check box, and click Send. In the prompt, click Save and Send.
Once the contract is submitted for electronic signature, you need to track the document to ensure the counter-party signs the contact electronically in Conga Contracts (formerly Novatus) or the DocuSign/Adobe Sign cloud. If the contract is not signed in a timely manner by the counter-party, you may need to resubmit the request for electronic signature. Once the counter-party signs the contract, you need to ensure that your signatory electronically signs the document, or reassigns a signatory in his/her absence. In DocuSign, a witness can be added to validate the electronic signing of the contract.
Once the signing ceremony has begun and the email messages have been sent to the signatories and any recipients, a Void Envelope icon appears in the Document Packages Browse screen. If you want to halt the signing process, simply click the icon.