A chart can be added to an analysis to provide a visual representation of the relationship between key fields or to effectively communicate trends in data over time or with respect to a value.
A line chart showing Event Dates by Contract Number is generated after applying a filter that shows only the events for the year 2018, which are displayed quarterly (Q1-Q4). A third data set (event frequency) is added to the chart, and is displayed as stacked information that is color-coded.
1. Click Reports in the Navigation Toolbar, and select the BI Toolbox link in the menu.
3. Click the analysis link to select it, and display the screen named for the analysis.
4. (Optional) Add a filter to manage the amount of data shown in the chart.
5. Add a chart to provide a visual display of key data:
- Click Add Chart in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
- When the screen refreshes, select Event Date in the Label Column list, and select Quarter in the by list to display events by the quarter in which they are due to be completed.
- The Label Column displays the label for a text, date, or value field along the X-axis (horizontal axis) of the chart.
- Select Contract Number in the Data Column list, and select Count since each Contract Profile is already a distinct number.
- The Count option generates a total of all items in a data field, while Distinct Count runs a total of distinctly different items.
- (Optional) Make a selection in the Additional Column list to add a third data set to the chart.
- The data can be added adjacent to the bar representing the data field selected in the Data Column list, or stacked on top of the bar with a contrast in color to show the delineation.
- (Optional) Change the default orientation of the bar from Horizontal to Vertical to change the bar chart to a column chart.
- Click OK.
6. (Optional) Click , located to the right of the chart name, to add the chart to the Visual Gallery.
- In the Add To Visual Gallery prompt:
- Edit the name of the analysis, if needed, in the Panel Title field.
- Provide a description in the Panel Description field.
- Click Done.
7. (Optional) Click , located to the right of the chart name, to collapse the chart portion of the screen.