Your company may require a person to witness a signature on a contract that is signed electronically. Adding a witness to the eSignature process is accomplished using the eSignature Package Wizard, and involves adding a duplicate recipient email address to the envelope for the signer whose company requires a witness, as well as inserting a signature field for the witness in the contract document.
The addition of a witness to a contract document is just one example of the way in which duplicate recipient email addresses can be used in the eSignature process. Currently, Conga Contracts supports duplicate recipient email addresses in DocuSign, but not Adobe Sign.
Once the eSignature Package Wizard is completed and the contract is submitted for electronic signature, the signatory receives an email request to sign the document. After the signatory provides their eSignature in the appropriate location in the document, the signatory receives a second email request to sign the document. Using the link in this second request, the signatory assigns this responsibility to an available witness.
1. Open the Contract Profile containing the document that needs to be signed electronically.
2. Click on Wizard Tools in the Profile Toolbar, and select eSignature Package Wizard.
- The Wizard can also be launched by clicking the icon in the Document Packages browse screen in the Contract Profile.
3. In the Document Selection section, select the check boxes for all the documents that require an eSignature.
4. In the Role Selection section, enter the email address for the signatory that requires a witness in the Email field, and then enter their first and last names. Leave the selection in the Action list set to Sign since this is the action that a signatory must perform in the electronic signing ceremony.
5. Repeat Step 4 to add a duplicate recipient email for the signatory that requires a witness.
6. (Optional) Click Add Recipient to add another signatory or a recipient to the electronic signing process:
- Populate the Email, First Name, and Last Name fields for the recipient.
- Select the role/action the person will play in the eSignaure process in the Action list.
- Sign - recipient must sign the document. The Sign option is the only option available for Adobe Sign.
- Acknowledge Receipt - recipient receives the final document(s), but does not need to sign, initial, date, or add information to any of the documents.
- Receive a copy - recipient receives a copy of the email message requesting the electronic signatures.
- Update the number in the Order column to identify the order in which the recipient receives the envelope.
If you are using Advanced DocuSign actions, there will be additional options in the Action list.
7. (Optional) In the Additional Administrator Selection section, click to display the Address Book and select other Administrators for the electronic signing process.
8. (Optional) Update the information in the Package Name, Email Message, and Package Description fields if you want to customize the email subject line and message text for the envelope.
9. Click Save to display the eSignature Portal where you must add Signature fields before submitting the document for electronic signature.
Adding Signature Fields for the Signatory and Witness
After you run the eSignature Package Wizard, you are immediately directed to the eSignature Portal, which displays the contents of the "envelope" for the electronic signing ceremony. The envelope is the email message that is sent to the signatories and recipients, and contains the document(s) that must be signed electronically.
1. Select the name of the signatory whose signature requires a witness in the list above the Standard Fields section.
2. Navigate to the Signature Line for the signatory by scrolling through the document, or clicking on a numbered Document Page icon.
3. Click on the Signature icon in the Standard Fields section, and then drag-and-drop the icon above the Signature Line. The icon changes to a Sign tag and formatting options for the field display in the right-hand panel.
4. (Optional) Add additional fields to the document to capture required information for the signatory by dragging-and-dropping other fields from the Standard Fields section into the document.
5. Select the second instance of the signatory's name in the list above the Standard Fields section.
6. Click on the Signature icon in the Standard Fields list, and then drag-and-drop the icon above the Witness Signature Line. The icon changes to a Sign tag and formatting options for the field display in the right-hand panel.
7. (Optional) Add additional fields to the document to capture required information for the witness by dragging-and-dropping other fields from the Standard Fields section into the document.
8. (Optional) Repeat Steps 1-4 to add Signature and other data-capturing fields for a second signatory to the document.
9. Click SEND to submit the document for electronic signature.
- Click on OTHER ACTIONS to display a menu with alternatives to submitting the envelope. Select Save and Close to save your work without submitting the envelope, or select Preview to view the envelope from the signatory's perspective.
The signatory whose signature requires a witness will sign the contract once, and then reassign their second signature line (or Witness Signature Line) to another individual in the DocuSign cloud since the identity of the witness is subject to change, based on the availability of people who can fulfill this role at the time the signatory signs the contract. This feature not available in the embedded version of DocuSign.