A user with the List Admin permission must rename a person generic field or it will not be available to capture additional information in the User Profile screen. There are five generic fields with the default labels of People Field 1 - People Field 5, and each field is a combo list that requires item selections. A List Admin must rename each generic field that will be needed in the User Profile, and then add item selections to each renamed field. In the event not all five of the fields are needed to capture additional information for a user, the remaining fields can be hidden from view.
A generic field can be renamed to capture information with several options, or only two options. For example, to capture a user's department, rename a generic field Department, and then add several item selections to identify the different departments at the company. To capture whether or not the user holds a managerial or supervisory position, rename the field Manager or Supervisor? and then add Yes and No as the item selections.
1. Click Admin in the Navigation Toolbar, and click the Lists link in the menu.
2. In the List Administration screen, locate the generic fields:
- Enter person in the Search field in the Fields List section.
- Press the ENTER key on your keyboard.
3. When the Person Generic Fields result displays, click it to display the generic fields in the right side of the screen.
When a generic field has been renamed, the new name of the field will display instead of the default name: People Field 1 - People Field 5.
4. Locate the generic field you want to rename, and click in its Field Label column to enable it.
5. Enter the name for the field, and press the ENTER key on your keyboard.
6. (Optional) Add a quick tip for the field, which displays when a user hovers over the field:
- Click in the Description field to enable it.
- Enter information or instructions for using the field.
7. (Optional) Select the Hidden check box if you do not want the generic field to immediately appear in the User Profile screen. Clear the check box to display the field.
8. Click Save.
9. Add items selections for the renamed generic combo list.